Complete & Nutritious
Ever wondered what’s in your dog food?
Dylan asked that exact question a few years back when he was feeding a premium natural dry kibble diet to Poppy and her daughters.
A lot more people are now asking themselves the same question and for good reason. If you look at the back of pack on your current dog food you will see loads of names of ingredients, you may not be able to pronounce, which are likely to be additives, fillers and colourings. The actual ‘meat’ content in most supermarket bought pet foods is tiny. In fact, shockingly, the legal minimum percentage for protein in these foods is just 4%.
We have spent a lot of time and effort developing the recipes for our fresh raw dog food to ensure total and complete nutrition. We work with our vet and nutritionist to get the mix of ingredients and nutritional balance just right, and with local farmers to ensure we use the best ingredients we can buy.
Our food is prepared locally by a family run butcher and naturally contains everything your dog will need for a happy, healthy long life. Well they are a part of our family, aren’t they?
Here is a quick guide to the ingredients we use:
All our meat is sourced locally and prepared by 4th generation butchers in the heart of Wiltshire . It is minced by hand, then packed and frozen to keep it perfectly fresh until it’s ready to be eaten.
In the wild, most of a carnivore’s nutrition come from bones. As in the wild, the bones they eats must ALWAYS be uncooked (because cooked bones become brittle and splinter). Our bone grinding plate is 8mm, so the meals we produce are suitable for dogs and cats of all ages… and all sizes.
HEART & OFFAL:
This shouldn’t be confused with derivatives and entrails found in supermarket bought dog food. We add ox heart, liver and kidney to our meals as they contain many minerals and vitamins. For cats this is especially important as they don’t naturally produce an essential amino acid called taurine. They get their taurine from the meat – and in particular the heart and offal – they eat.
Green tripe is a real superfood… nothing else provides such a rich variety of digestible proteins, pre- and probiotics. But it has a bad reputation with some raw feeders, mainly because of the smell. We only add small quantities of green tripe to some varieties – enough to do the work of a superfood but not enough to make it unpleasant to be around! The raw, unbleached green stomach which we use is simply rinsed in cold water – it’s called green because it has a slight green fluorescent shine from digesting grass, not because anything has been added.
We only use locally grown, seasonal vegetables in our meals. And when we say local, we can actually see some of the fields out of our windows. Some raw feeders don’t believe that vegetables are necessary, but for a complete BARF model diet we think they are a vital addition, adding essential fibre and a host of vitamins and minerals not present in meat. And if you think about it, carnivores (like dogs and cats) eat herbivores… herbivores eat vegetation… therefore carnivores are INGESTING that veg. Simple.
We also add in a few things, just because we can and they make for a super healthy dog!
- Helps to boost immunity and stimulate metabolism
- Containing chlorophyll, vitamins A, C and E, iron, calcium and magnesium, wheatgrass can increase red blood cells in the body
- Supports the immune system and prevent inflammation
- Rich in nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and essential amino acids, spirulina can ward off inflammation and other diseases in the body, being excellent for protecting the immune system, and helps to reduce the risk of heart disease
Sea kelp powder
- Supports the immune system and maintains optimum coat and skin condition
- Packed with nutrients to support a strong and healthy immune system, sea kelp contains an abundance of vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes which can help maintain optimum coat and skin condition as well as healthy gums
- Has a reputation for fighting off viruses and in the treatment of skin conditions
- Increasingly regarded for its health potential, coconut oil contains high levels of antioxidants which can reduce inflammation, help alleviate arthritis, and can also help heal urinary and kidney infections
- Promotes healthier heart, skin and hair
- Rich in omega-3, flaxseed oil can promote healthier heart function, calmer moods and decreased inflammation, while also promoting healthier skin and hair
How we make it?
Unlike most raw and supermarket brands, our food is handmade.
We take meat, offal, bone and veg from locally sourced suppliers which we mince and then blend with a few nutritional extras (such as seeds, botanicals and herbs.
Then we package our award winning food as either mince or meatballs and fast freeze to retain all its goodness.