10 Common houseplants to avoid

10 Common houseplants to avoid

10 Common houseplants to avoid

It has to be said, the pandemic has led to a huge increase of people becoming plant parents, as well as puppy parents, so we've put together a handy list of plants to avoid to help keep your pup safe. 

Aloe Vera Plant

While known to humans as a plant with many healing properties, Aloe Vera plants contain a chemical called saponin which can cause various problems if ingested by dogs. Look out for nausea, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhoea and dehydration. 

Snake plant

The popular Snake Plant also contains the chemical saponin and can cause nausea, excessive drooling vomiting and diarrhoea if ingested by dogs.

Jade Plant

This easy growing plant has many names but is most commonly referred to as the Jade Plant, Money Tree or Japanese Rubber Plant. As it is a succulent it requires little care much like cacti but if ingested it can cause vomiting, abdominal pain and lethargy and weakness. 

ZZ Plant

The ZZ Plant is another that is favoured for being easy to look after however they can cause problems with dogs, cats and humans. They produce a chemical known as calcium oxalates and also produce sap, which both cause irritation externally and internally if ingested. Abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea can also occur if ingested. 

Peace Lily

This well known plant with dark leaves and white flowers contain calcium oxalate crystals which cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea and difficulty swallowing and breathing. 

 Bird of Paradise

These tropical plants boost bright coloured flowers but contain strong toxins, so it's best to give this one a miss. If ingested symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration, tremors and a high heart rate. 


It's understandable why Cacti are not the best plants to have with dogs around. While most aren't poisonous some can still cause irritation if the 'flesh' is eaten. If the spines are ingested they can cause abdominal pain alongside vomiting and diarrhoea. If your dog has ingested a cacti or multiple, take them to the vet as they will be able to provide the treatment and avoid further problems. 


Perhaps one of the most popular plants, Monsteras are part of a large tropical plant family, well loved for their leaf shapes, colours and growth. If ingested this plant can cause irritation, pain and swelling to the lips and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.  


These plants are very temperamental when it comes to care but are well loved for their striking leaves. Toxic to both dogs and cats, this plant can cause swelling, irritation and burning of the lips and mouth, difficulty swallowing and breathing and also vomiting. 

If your dog or puppy is displaying any of the above signs, contact your vet immediately. If they have come in contact with or ingested any items, take them with you or a photo to the vet as this can be helpful in deciding the best treatment for your dog. 

Illnesses and accidents happen, but if we take these measures and precautions in advance we can certainly reduce the risk of these happening in the first place.  

Here's to happy pups and wagging tails! x