Poisonous Mushrooms for dogs

Poisonous Mushrooms for dogs

Poisonous Mushrooms for dogs

As the autumn drops beautiful leaves in all shades, and rains huge muddy puddles, it also brings along mushrooms - and many are poisonous to dogs. Dogs explore the world by scent and taste, so mushrooms can be an exciting ‘morsel’, made worse by some varieties producing a fishy smelly (yep some really do). 

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning depends on the species of mushroom and the different toxins they contain; some may cause an upset stomach while others can cause more severe problems and even death.

If you notice any usual behaviour or symptoms from your dog or are aware they have ingested a mushroom that you do not recognise, take them to your vet immediately. If possible, get a sample of the mushroom your dog has ingested and bring it with you as this will help them determine the best course of action for the specific toxin.

The most common symptoms of mushroom poisoning are:

  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lethargy 
  • Weakness
  • Jaundice 
  • Abdominal pain 
  • Seizures 
  • Excessive drooling

We’ve made a list of the most toxic mushrooms so your dog can stay healthy when playing in the park. 

Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) 

Usually known for their depiction in fairy tales and story books these mushrooms have a red cap and little white dots.

Jewelled Death Cap (Amanita gemmata

This mushroom is commonly mistaken as safe to eat but it is not. It has a yellow-ish cap and white spots. 

Death Cap (Amanita phalloides

As the name suggests, this plain and white mushroom is responsible for fatal poisoning on both humans and pets.

Autumn Galerina (Galerina marginata

These small brown mushrooms are often found growing from decaying wood and have a flatter cap. 

Elf’s Saddle (Helvella lacunosa)

These unusually shaped mushrooms are usually hidden beneath leaves and on the side of footpaths.