Pumpkin is a fantastic cheap and seasonal ingredient. Not only does it make tasty soups and pies, but it’s also full of great nutrition for your dog to enjoy too. With Halloween over and the cold coming in, here’s a tasty dog food recipe using pumpkin for you to try.
Here’s the list of ingredients you need to get your hands (and paws..!) busy in the kitchen:
- 125 grams of oats (old fashioned, 1-minute oats, or instant), plus more if needed- see instructions
- 40 grams of pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 30 grams of natural peanut butter*
Click this link to see the full recipe.
Poppy’s Top Tips:
- Make sure to check your pumpkins of any mould before using as mouldy pumpkins can cause tummy upsets
- If you don’t have a fresh pumpkin, you can try this recipe with unsweetened canned pumpkin
- Just as you wouldn’t eat a whole pumpkin pie without feeling an upset tummy, your dog is the same so make sure your pooch eats in moderation
- With all recipes, please consult your vet if you are worried about any potential allergies\
* Please make sure your peanut butter does not contain xylitol as this is extremely toxic and dangerous to dogs, even in small amounts. Xylitol is a sweetener used in many foods for humans such as including peanut butter, yogurt, toothpaste and chewing gum, which is harmless to humans but deadly to dogs. If ingested, it can cause seizures, liver failure and death. Read this informational blog from Blue Cross for more details.