Poppy's Brilliant Birthday Cake
Poppy’s back in the kitchen and this time she is joined by Gabby! As Gabby’s birthday is approaching she thought it was only right to make her Brilliant Birthday Cake as a special treat to celebrate. A banana and carrot sponge, topped with potato icing and of course, our Fishy Super Sprinkles and Pure Hearty Bites for decoration.
Watch the full video here!
Made from sustainably sourced whitefish skins, organic seaweed and parsley, our Super Sprinkles are an extra delicious but also a nutritious treat and our Pure Hearty Bites are made with 100% British air-dried ox heart slices, so they are both healthy and delicious.
Be sure to let us know below if you make this brilliant birthday cake for your four-legged friend, we'd love to see! Just tag @poppyspicnic
150g Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Honey
Pure Hearty Bites
Fishy Super Sprinkles
- Weigh out your flour and sieve into the mixing bowl to remove any lumps.
- Peel and chop the carrot finely and mash the banana. Then crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Add the chopped carrot, mashed banana and whisked eggs to the mixing bowl with the flour and squeeze in a tablespoon of honey.
- Mix together to create a batter, adding water if needed to help it bond. It will have a crumbly texture once mixed.
- Line a small cake tin with greaseproof paper then spoon in the mixture. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180
- Allow the cake to cool then remove from the tin carefully. Remove the grease proof paper and leave to continue cooling. Once cooled use a serrated knife to cut the cake in half ready for decoration.
ICING AND DECORATION:
- Peel and chop a large potato and boil for 10 minutes until the potatoes start to soften. Drain the potatoes and add to a bowl to mash. Add water gradually to help thin the mash. Split into half ready for Icing the cake.
- Layer mash on the first half of the cake evenly using a spatula then place the second half of the cake on top. Put the remainder of the mash into a piping bag and ice the top however you like! Poppy chose some swirls for her cake.
- Decorate with your dog's favourite treats (we chose our Pure Hearty Bites as they're Gabby's Favourite!) and top with some Super Sprinkles for an added crunchy taste. Add a candle for fun if it's their birthday but don't light it - we created a flame out of orange paper for ours - and remember to remove it before eating! Enjoy!
This cake keeps for 4 days in the fridge. Just pop it into a sealed container and your dog can enjoy the festivities for a few days!